Liver transplant surgery is a major surgical procedure and could be life saviour in patients who are dependent on regular medications for chronic liver problem and liver related problems from long time. The patients who choose to undergo liver transplant surgery also need to follow the transplant related precautions to have successful outcomes of liver transplant surgery. The long term results depends upon multiple precautions and care about yourself you adopt in routine lifestyle after transplant surgery. We discuss the various aspects to live healthy after liver transplant surgery.
The patients usually stay in the hospital for 7- 14 days after surgery and they generally recover with in one month time. The donor liver takes time to adopt to body functions and bring them normal in various parameters. The patient receiving liver transplant lives normal life and have almost 75 % survival rate after 5 years receiving liver transplant surgery. They can almost live normal life in long term after receiving liver transplant. The donor patients also compensates well with growth of the remnant liver over the time and live normal life.
Immediate tips after liver transplant surgery
- Do adequate rest and brisk physical activities
- Mobilise yourself to small work and walking
- Don’t lift heavy weights and avoid strenuous exercises
- Weight yourself daily
- Note for any swelling in the feet or body
- Keep your blood pressure in check
- Keep your pulse in check
- Measure your body temperature to rule any body infections
- Take your medications in appropriate time
- Remember the name of your medications and keep record of taking them.
- Maintain your follow book which mentions your medications, weight and visit to your doctor.
- Strict diet should be maintained as prescribed by clinicians and dieticians.
- Practice standard hygiene measures to prevent from infection like wearing masks, gloves and hand washing after contact.
- Avoid contacting people with active infectious disease.
- Avoid contact with pets and if pets are there, maintain hygienic measures.
Diet after liver transplant surgery
- Eat low salt diet
- Avoid Diet contains fat and high cholesterol
- Don’t take herbal preparations
- Avoid usage of vitamins not recommended by your clinician
- Take diet rich in antioxidants like fresh fruits, vegetables and grains
- Quit smoking
- Alcohol is allowed in very limited quantity after complete recovery only with clinician recommendations.
- Avoid high potassium and salt containing fruits and preserved vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water as recommended according to your body weight to flush the toxins.
- Dairy products to be consumed with low fat.
Medications after liver transplant surgery
- Take your anti hypertension medications regularly
- Take your immunosuppressant medications regularly
- Watch for symptoms like headache, dizziness, low or high blood pressure, itching , fever , constipation or diahorrea to rule out any adverse reactions to medications.
- Maintain good record for your medications.
- Remember the names of your medications
- Always take the record of medications and tests done in follow up period with your clinician.
- Keep record of your scheduled visits and investigations.
With advancements of surgical and medical care in transplant surgeries, the outcomes of the patients are extremely better leading to healthy lifestyle. To consult with best team of general, minimal access and transplant surgeons available at The Surgeons House (SHL) in different global locations, please click this link for more details.