Lung transplant surgery is a major surgical procedure and could be life saviour in patients who are dependent on regular medications for chronic lung problems from long time. The patients who choose to undergo lung transplant surgery also need to follow the transplant related precautions to have successful outcomes of lung transplant surgery. The long term results depends upon multiple precautions and care about yourself you adopt in routine lifestyle after transplant surgery. We discuss the various aspects to live healthy after liver transplant surgery.
The patients usually stay in the hospital for 6- 10 days after single lung transplant surgery and they generally recover with in one month time. The donor lung takes time to adopt to body functions and bring them normal in various parameters. The patient receiving lung transplant lives normal life and have almost 60 – 70 % survival rate after 5 years receiving lung transplant surgery. They can almost live normal life in long term after receiving lung transplant.
Immediate tips after lung transplant surgery
- Do adequate rest and brisk physical activities
- Mobilise yourself to small work and walking
- Don’t lift heavy weights and avoid strenuous exercises for period of 6 months.
- Keep your blood pressure and sugar in check
- Keep your pulse in check. Usually high pulse is an indicative of infection.
- Measure your body temperature to rule any body infections
- Take your medications in appropriate time
- Keep record of your medications
- Lung functions have to be improved regular chest physiotherapy and exercise to improvise lung functions
- Healthy diet should be maintained as prescribed by clinicians and dieticians.
- Practice standard hygiene measures to prevent from infection like wearing masks, gloves and hand washing after contact.
- Avoid contacting people with active infectious disease.
- Avoid contact with pets and if pets are there, maintain hygienic measures.
Diet after liver transplant surgery
- Avoid Diet contains fat and high cholesterol
- Don’t take herbal preparations
- Avoid usage of vitamins not recommended by your clinician
- Take diet rich in antioxidants like fresh fruits, vegetables and grains
- Quit smoking
- Alcohol is allowed in very limited quantity after complete recovery only with clinician recommendations.
- Dairy products to be consumed with low fat.
Investigations after lung transplant surgery
The initial months require regular and intensive chest physiotherapy and regular investigations to follow your recovery of the patients.
- X-ray of the chest
- Pulmonary function tests
- Bronchoscopy and biopsy if indicated
- Blood investigations
- Computer tomography if indicated.
Medications after lung transplant surgery
- Take your anti hypertension medications regularly
- Take your immunosuppressant medications regularly
- Watch for symptoms like headache, dizziness, low or high blood pressure, itching , fever , constipation or diahorrea to rule out any adverse reactions to medications.
- Maintain good record for your medications.
- Remember the names of your medications
- Always take the record of medications and tests done in follow up period with your clinician.
- Keep record of your scheduled visits and investigations.
With advancements of surgical and medical care in transplant surgeries, the outcomes of the patients are extremely better leading to healthy lifestyle. To consult with best team of general, minimal access and transplant surgeons available at The Surgeons House (SHL) in different global locations, please click this link for more details.