Liver transplant surgery is second most common transplant surgery performed among all the transplant surgeries. All kinds of transplant surgery is performed under pre set protocol of diagnosis, investigations , transplants registration, surgery and post operative protocols. It is absolutely important to know the whether the transplant surgery will rightly benefit the patients before they undergo any major transplant surgery. Your clinician and transplant surgeons will be the best decision makers in case your are planning to undergo transplant surgery.
Indications of Liver transplant surgery
Any of the Liver related disease which lead to liver failure and it’s associated syndrome complex will require transplant surgery to benefit the patients for long time. The liver transplant surgery remains the curative surgery for long standing chronic liver disease.
- Chronic viral hepatitis leading to liver failure
- Autoimmune hepatitis leading to liver failure
- Hepatocellular carcinoma of the liver ( primary cancer of the liver)
- Drug induced acute liver failure
- Polycystic disease of the liver
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Billliary Atresia
Contraindications to liver transplant surgery
- Severe associated pulmonary problems
- Severe associated cardiac problems
- Active viral infections such HIV
- Any other systemic problems which are are contraindications to anaesthesia.
- Severe obesity
Investigations before liver transparent surgery
- All routine blood investigation including complete blood analysis, kidney and liver function tests, thyroid and lipid profile and viral markers.
- Echo cardiography to assess the status of heart before surgery
- Contrast enhanced computerised tomography of the abdomain to outline the anatomy of the arteries, veins and billary ducts of the liver.
- Computerised 3D imaging for assessment of the residual liver volume in case of living donors before planning for donors surgery.
- Positron emission tomography in case of liver cancers to assess the spread of the liver cancer to the other parts of the body.
Once you are planned for surgery the surgeon will explain all the details , it’s risk involved , informed consent and recovery protocols after the surgery they are planning to perform. Usually the length of the procedure will depend upon the extent of the surgery. The patient and family has to notify the hospitals authorities and add their names in transplant surgery list. In case of living donors, the essential crosshatching protocols and fitness of donors is assessed.
To meet the best team of General, Minimal access and transplant surgeons at SHL Surgeons House Limited available at various global locations. Please click the link for for more details.