Overview: What is obesity
Obesity is a state of being excessively fat. This term is exclusively associated with a person who has crossed the phase of overweight and has gained even grossly more fat.
The condition of Obesity can be measured through the Body Mass Index (BMI), it shows a value considering a person’s height and weight. This value tells about the health of a person. A person with a BMI between 25 to 29.9 is considered as an overweight person. A BMI of 30 or above comes under the ‘obese’ category. Whereas an ideal BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9.
Obesity can subsequently give rise to many other diseases which are mostly metabolic diseases.
What are some common causes of obesity?
A research says that the cause of obesity can be many or it can even be a combination of a few things, such as overeating, lack of physical activity, psychological factor and genetic susceptibility.
Below is the list of many such reasons:
- Lack of physical activity
- Unhealthy Eating
- Psychological disorders
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Diet with high amount of energy (eg., sugar & fat)
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and aerated beverages.
What are the common disease associated with obesity?
A person with obesity tend to have multiple health related risks, to enumerate some:
- Obesity related cancer disease.
- Gallstones & Gallbladder diseases
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease and stroke ( underlying high cholesterol)
- Joint problems ( commonly osteoarthritis)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Trouble breathing, such as sleep apnea (The person stop breathing briefly during sleep)
What surgical treatment is available for obesity and it’s related diseases?
People suffering from obesity can go for Bariatric surgery, It is one of the most effective surgery for obesity and related problems. Obesity surgery is the necessary step for obese individuals with metabolic syndrome to take step forward to the weight loss journey. There are mainly three mainly common surgical procedures for bariatric surgery:
- Gastric Bypass surgeries
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Endoscopic procedures
To know more, consult our team of best surgeons at Surgeons House Limited (SHL) available at different locations in Delhi, Noida, Gurugram, India, and global locations. Please click this link to contact us.